Did you know that migraines can be triggered by changes in the weather? With dropping temperatures, seasonal food changes, and warm winter beverages on the menu, we thought it a good idea to review some of the known causes of migraine headaches, and also some simple natural remedies that you can use to overcome them.
COMMON TRIGGERS INCLUDE:
• Alcoholic beverages
• WEATHER CHANGES
• Bright light (esp. with light sensitivity)
• Caffeine (tea, soda, coffee, chocolate, energy drinks, some health drinks)
• PROCESSED FOODS, ADDITIVES & PRESERVATIVES (esp. MSG, aspartame, cheese and processed meats)
• Desk or computer work (posture and light)
• HORMONES (esp. estrogen, hormone swings)
• Hotter air temperatures
SIMPLE NATURAL REMEDIES
• HYDRATION [your body weight (#) ÷ 2 = ounces of water to consume daily (average)]
• Natural Calm MAGNESIUM (or other such magnesium supplements)
• REST (get plenty of quality rest every night)
• B-complex vitamins (aid the nervous system)
• Regular moderate exercise
• MASSAGE THERAPY (esp. neck and back)
• Lavender or peppermint essential oils
• Soothing herbal teas
• COLD/ICE PACKS on the head and neck (especially helpful when used after consuming a warm beverage or in conjunction with a hot pack application on the feet)
For more information on how Massage Therapy can benefit you or a loved one suffering from migraines, give us a call today: 308-432-4558.
The Great Escape
Massage & Wellness Center LLC
Chadron, NE 69337
*Information herein is not diagnostic or prescriptive in nature and is educational only. Use at your own risk. Consult with your primary care provider for appropriate treatment options.
Coronavirus has affected our operations in reference to many of the subjects or services listed herein. Please see our dedicated COVID-19 page for information. Until further notice, all of our standard policies and procedures will be trumped by the Nebraska State DHM (Directed Health Measures) in order to stay in compliance with state law as far as possible. Thank you all for your continued support and patience as we collectively work through this.
Jerri W., LMT, CWC
Licensed Massage Therapist and Certified Wellness Coach with over 25+ years of experience in pain management, relaxation techniques and lifestyle education.
Heather R., LMT, CWC
Certified Wellness Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist with a passion for helping others achieve optimal wellness through healthier living.
NOTICE: The information provided herein is meant for educational purposes only. We accept no liability for your use of the information provided. As always, use your best judgment and if in doubt, please consult your healthcare provider to determine the best course of action for your particular situation.